Uruguay vs South Korea: Estimated lineups, predictions and stats
The Tottenham Hotspur striker suffered a fracture around his left eye three weeks ago and had to train like a “Zorro” wearing a black protective mask. Then it is assumed that South Korea will need full power later in the game because Uruguay are more experienced in the World Cup.
Also, South Korea’s next opponents in Group H are pretty tough, namely Portugal and Ghana. So it’s very important for Son Son to pound Uruguay’s defense to earn points early so South Korea isn’t too difficult to play in the next two games.
What do you think about this article?
“We have to check him and analyze him every day, let him come,” said South Korea coach Paulo Bento of Son’s chances of playing for Uruguay against Uruguay.
“We still have time to make the right and best decision for all of us,” he continued
Son himself is said to want to play, but he doesn’t want to take the risk of overexerting himself, which could be fatal for his future.
On the other hand, Uruguay does not face such a delicate problem. Instead, they have best dark horse status, bolstered by a mix of older and younger players who shine. Uruguay can certainly benefit from the enthusiasm shown by young players competing in a World Cup for the first time.
Among the young Uruguayans giving cause for concern is Liverpool’s most expensive signing, Darwin Nunez. He is expected to be a duet with aging striker Luis Suarez, who became the main figure behind Uruguay’s charming journey to the 2010 World Cup semi-finals.
Nunez arrived in Qatar when he was 23, or 12 years younger than Suarez and Edinson Cavani, who have both competed at the World Cup four times. So has the captain and centre-back, who most often defended the Uruguayan national team, Diego Godin.
Alongside Nunez, there are 12 other Uruguayan players who are experiencing the aura of World Cup competition for the first time. Three of them are Real Madrid midfielder Federico Valverde, Manchester United midfielder Facundo Pellistri and Tottenham Hotspur’s Rodrigo Bentancur.
Coach Diego Alonso himself sees his squad’s senior and junior mix as a gift. He believes Uruguay can win this World Cup again, which they did in 1930 and 1950. However, Uruguay still have gaps that South Korea can exploit, especially at the back.
Estimated lineup of players
South Korea (4-3-3): Kim Seung-gyu; Kim Moon-hwan, Kim Young-gwon, Kim Min-jae, Kim Jin-su; Jung Woo-Young, Hwang In-beom, Lee Jae-sung; Hwang Hee-chan, son of Heung-min, Hwang Ui-jo
Uruguay (4-3-3): Sergio Rochet; Guilermo Varela, Diego Godin, José Gimenez, Mathias Olivera; Rodrigo Bentancur, Matias Vecino, Federico Valverde; Giorgian De Arrascaeta, Luis Suarez, Darwin Nunez.
Once Son Heung-min recovers, Bento will definitely put him at the front in a 4-3-3 formation with Hwang Hee-chan and Hwang Ui-jo. However, Bento is still unsure of starting attacking midfielder Lee Kang-in who can bring in midfield creativity.
Lee Kang-in is very important because so far Bento has been criticized for abandoning the pushy and persistent philosophy that South Korea has shown so far. Passive style that causes South Korea to often lose speed and minimal chances.
This situation needs to change because Uruguay, which they face, not only needs to be cushioned by a solid defense and capable ball possession system, but they also need to be terrorized more often, which interferes with their attack planning.
Lee is guaranteed to bring terror to Uruguay, having registered five goals for Mallorca in the Spanish league so far. However, in order to maintain the power composition, there is a chance that Lee will not appear as a starter.
Of course, solid defense against a side as aggressive as Uruguay is a necessity. Bento makes Napoli defender Kim Min-jae the mainstay of South Korea’s defense.
Kim is partnered with Kim Young-gwon, and the two are flanked on either flank by Kim Moon-hwan and Kim Jin-su to ensure goalkeeper Kim Seung-gyu isn’t overly bothered by Uruguay’s aggression.
Uruguay themselves certainly installed the aggressive and creative midfielder Federico Valverde who is currently shining at Real Madrid. He will be the main ruler of midfield along with Matias Vecino and Rodrigo Bentancur to support Uruguay’s attacking line.
In the last third of the field, Uruguay will install the young and old duo of Luis Suarez and Darwin Nunez, as well as another partner on the wing, which is likely to be filled with attacking midfielder Giorgian de Arrascaeta.
Uruguay didn’t have much of a problem in the last two-thirds of the field, with so many stocks to field. But they have concerns in defence, particularly over the possibility of not being able to field Barcelona defender Ronald Araujo.
That’s why Uruguay are once again counting on senior defender Diego Godin, who will form two pillars with Jose Maria Gimenez, who has always been a partner in the last two World Cups. They are flanked by Guilermo Varela and Mathias Olivera on either flank of the Uruguayan defence. To keep the goal, Sergio Rochet is a regular choice of national team manager Diego Alonso.
– Before the game, the two sides met eight times, setting Uruguay’s record of six wins, including twice at the 1990 and 2010 World Cups.
– South Korea have only won once against Uruguay. That happened in the last meeting in 2018 in a friendly game.
– Uruguay have appeared in 14 World Cup finals, winning the 1930 and 1950 editions.
– Uruguay have made it to the knockout rounds in each of their last three World Cup appearances. However, they were eliminated in the 2006 group stage and successfully reached the quarterfinals of the 2018 World Cup in Russia
– South Korea is playing the 11th finals of the World Cup and has always participated in the previous 10 events. However, South Korea has not progressed beyond the group stage in the last two editions.
– South Korea’s best performance at the World Cup was reaching the semi-finals of the 2002 edition.
– Uruguay have not won six of their seven World Cup opening games. However, they managed to win perfectly without conceding as they progressed through the group stage of the 2018 World Cup in Russia.
– South Korea have never won the opening game in the last two editions of the World Cup. In addition, South Korea has also won just two of their last nine World Cup games, including defeating Germany, who are the holders of the 2018 World Cup.
– South Korea have never won their opening game in the last two editions of the World Cup. In addition, they have only been able to win two of the last nine World Cup games, including the victory against the then defending champions Germany in the 2018 edition.